Sunday 24 February 2013

Red-necked Grebe - Worthing

I received a txt from Dave Smith informing me that he had just seen a Red-necked Grebe offshore at Marine Gardens, I arrived within half an hour and checked out the sea's further west as the bird had drifted this way..conditions for sea-watching were good with relatively flat sea and good light, although it was biting cold. I soon found large parties of Red-breasted Mergansers offshore and several loose flocks of Great-crested Grebes, all drifting west pretty quick. I phoned Garry who was on his way down and told him to look off Goring as I presumed the bird had probably drifted that far. Upon further scanning, there was good parties of auks moving through, mainly Razorbills, several Kittiwakes and Red-throated Diver. I noticed that the Great-crested Grebes had started to drift slowly east and I then picked out a single bird half-way out..a Red-necked Grebe offering good scope views and was quite happy fishing on the sea in front of me. I phoned Garry and he joined me to also get onto the bird..a good bird to get locally! there was upto 3 birds offshore here last year for a while so hopefully this one will hang around too..thanks goes out to Dave for the info

No comments:

Post a Comment