Sunday 17 March 2013

Ringed Black-headed Gull R3

Danny 'the Pirate' was visiting from Cornwall (17th) as our respective partners were on a Hen weekend in Brighton! We headed out with Shoreham being the first destination, but the strong southerlies and heavy showers were too much for our little girls so retreated to Widewater where we fared better, feeding the gulls with yesterdays left overs! Amongst the gulls, I noticed the chap below fly in, I am sure I have recorded this gull before here before xmas and also on the Adur, but never got a conclusive reading of the birds rings...any info on this bird would be greatly appreciated! I am sure Mr Fairbank will have seen this bird locally!

 
Black-headed Gull R3 at Widewater
 




2 comments:

  1. Hi Nick

    R3 is a female ringed as 1CY on 20/11/09 at Stad Groningen, Noorderplantsoen Kerklaan, Netherlands (Frank Majoor f.majoor5@upcmail.nl). It was seen at Southwater CP by Jake Everett on 14/12/09. I've seen it on the Adur on 18/12/11 & 05/01/13 and at Widewater on 15/09/12 so seems fairly settled in our area. The ring doesn't stand out that well so I've probably overlooked it quite often too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard,
      Thankyou so much for this information, I am sure Jake would be interested to know that this bird is still around aswell, always interests me to hear where ringed birds have been recorded etc, was really happy with the news of one of the Lewes Waxwings being recorded in Switzerland last weekend!
      Interesting stuff, thanks Richard

      Delete